Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Tuesday, May 15

Flood

A water pipe broke in our basement last night. Our youngest thinks that it was his fault, but all he did was bang on the wall and he's not exactly the Incredible Hulk.

I rushed home from work when my wife phoned me, but by the time I had got there she had alreqady organised a plumber who was already part way through the repair job.

Nevertheless, the water was about 1.5 inches deep, and being the man of the house (Quote Kyle "Oh, and Simon - cleaning is a woman's work. Scientific fact." see here) I just had to do a lot of moving furniture, mopping, and dragging of carpets into the yard.

But, the Lord knows what he is doing......

It turns out our neighbour's house uses the same water supply as us (this needs to be rectified for legal reasons) and when we turned off the water supply she was cut off too.

This got us talking, and I discovered she suffers osteo-arthritis in her knee which has done damage to surrounding tissue which the doctor says is inoperable. She will have to leave her job and sell her house. Now our church has been encouraging us to bring CHrist into the community and to pray for people's needs. So here was a perfect chance to put that into practice. I asked if she would like me to pray for her, either in our private devotions or on the spot. She asked me to pray on the spot - and seemed very appreciative when I had finished. I was too chicken (or lacking faith?) for an instant miracle, so I prayed for a diffrent doctor to be able to do something for her and for it to be a new beginning rather than an end. No- I didn't lay hands on her - it would have looked very dodgy. No she wasn't instantly healed, but she does know that in her time of desperation the Kingdom of God came to her house.

Not sure how to follow this up. I don't want to be pushy, nor to be neglectful, and it's hard to get the balance right.

No comments:

Post a Comment