Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Tuesday, May 1

I am now a Licensed Reader


On Saturday I was licensed as a Reader in my Diocese.

I went to the Cathedral in the morning, and contrary to my normal practice I arrived on time, at the right place, and NOT flustered!

The first stage was an hour of preparation lead by the (suffragan) bishop in the Lady Chapel. This was four meditations on the resurrection, with a quiet period between each. It was very good, with invitations, to consider our first call, our doubts, our fears, and our commission, laying each at the feet of Christ.

During the first quiet period, a latecomer arrived all hot and bothered and puffing and blowing, and the service was interrupted while the bishop fetched her the service sheet. In the second quiet, someone’s phone went off, followed by much rummaging to switch it off. In the third quiet, we could hear the distant sounds of our coffee being prepared and then trundled down a corridor on a trolley, making us all thirsty. But I mention this only for amusement – the meditations were excellent.

Next we had a joint seminar with the Reader’s association, whose AGM was concurrent. The guest speaker was the Bishop of another diocese, who gave an excellent talk on the five-fold ministry and the importance and unimportance of Readers.

This went on a bit so we missed our lunch break and rushed to don cassocks for the rehearsal, held in full view of the tourists. We were arranged alphabetically, so I ended up right a the front of the Cathedral, with the row reserved for my family next to me – the ideal place for small kids!

Another quick break for lunch, then we had to go to the chapter house to do the legal bit. I struggled with the affirmations – I always hesitate to promise to obey a man when my allegiance should be to Christ. But thinking about it, every other church of which I have been a member has expected me to obey the elders, and this was not really any different. If I find myself unable to obey, I will inevitably break the vow and presumably get chucked out of the readership. This has been a difficult issue for me, but I don’t believe God has brought me to this point only to quibble over the wording of the affirmation.

Next, surplices on, and get ready. The family arrived at this time despite the trains being off due to engineering work. They had got over laughing at the outfit at home, and now seemed pleased to see me.

Time for them to sit down and for me to get in place for the procession.

As I take the first step my brother turns up.

From there on the service runs smoothly with only two mistakes (I stepped right instead of left and had to be corrected by the bishop, and I enthusiastically and loudly sang what the choir was supposed to – but never mind, there were only 1000 people watching so nothing to be embarrassed about)

Several parts of the service were quite moving – too many to list here. Maybe another post?

Then we had to process back to the doors. As I arrived at the end and turned to face the way I had just come, I felt like I was looking upstream at river rapids – tere were so many white-robed clergy and readers pouring down the steps towards me – it was quite scary.

Then photos.

My wife’s camera broke so we relied on my snap-happy son with his…. Only the photo above was publishable. For all the others he caught me talking and I seem to look really worried, really angry and vicious, or really depressed. I didn’t feel any of those things – have I got the wrong face?

Shook loads of hands.

Went home. Took the family to Pizza Hut since I couldn’t really expect Mrs to cook. A good time was had by all.

And the first stage of my plan for world domination is complete………?
My thanks to everybody who has helped me along the way. In the blogosphere several deserve special mention for helping me socially and stimulating me spiritually.
Thank you Kyle
Thank you Rev Sam
Thank you James Church.

3 comments:

  1. Wahey! Good for you. Glad I could be of help - tho' I'm not quite sure how :o)

    By the way, I had thought you were trying to stay anonymous on your blog. Bit late for that now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam

    Yes, it is supposed to be anonymous but I couldn't resist one photo. thought about pixelating my face - it would have been an improvement!

    Your help, like Kyle, has come in your sound advice on matters of personal holiness and in terms of challenging and making me think very hard about the things I believe and why, and to understand that I am not always right and that people who think radically differently from me are not heretics (well not all of them anyway).

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, man. I'm glad it was a good experience. And thanks for your kind words about my writing - I do appreciate it. God bless you in your ministry. :0)

    ReplyDelete