Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Friday, June 8

Fixed Penalty

Yes, I got one.

I could argue the mitigating circumstances - that the gap I went for closed up on me and I had to take evasive action or get smashed (which is why the police saw me shoot between the cars) and that was why I was still going to fast when we got to the roadworks. However, I have had it coming for a long time, and even if it was a bit unfair today, i accept it for all the times I have deserved it and got away with it.

But in the light of current discusion as to the nature of Christ's atonement, and whether the penalty he paid was a simple consequence of our sins or a judicial punishement for our breaches of God's law, perhaps I should have asked the policemen whether the my fixed penalty notice was a judicial punishment for breaking the speed limit or whether it was just nature taking its course.

(I suspect the natural consequences of speeding would be a traffic accident, whereas a fine seems strongly judicial).

Put simply - in common language and in theology a 'penalty' is a punishment for breaking the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment