Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Wednesday, December 17

Oxbridge makes me sin

My son had his Oxbridge interviews this week.

First interview went well, second went badly. We’ll see what comes of it. Personally, I am very pleased he has made it as far as an interview, but if he is one of the small fraction that gets through I shall be hugely proud.

The trouble is: it is very hard to see it purely in terms of him achieving what is best for him. My friends’ son – friends I don’t particularly like, did not get in a few years ago, so it would be very gratifying if mine did. But is that a righteous feeling?

And another friends’ son also applied to Oxbridge this year – a bright lad who has not had the benefit of private education as my son has. So I want that boy to get in, because I don’t want him to be disadvantaged by his parent’s poverty. (Sound people for whom I have much respect). But on the other hand if he gets in and my son doesn’t, when I have spent £xx,xxx.xx on his education – I will be more than a little miffed.

So the simple question of my lad getting to his chosen college suddenly gets filled with all sorts of petty bitterness, jealously, and unrighteousness. I hope my sin does not stand in his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment