Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Monday, January 19

I need a new client

It is now over two years since I took the plunge and became a freelance engineer. It has been successful so far, with my only real worry being that I have been with the same client all this time, which could cause the tax man to doubt my independent status. So I have been looking for other work, and apart from a bit of part time work for a local council in summer, nothing has come up. My search has been getting more intense and frantic as time passes.

Things have now come to a head since my client has informally let me know that they can’t see work for me beyond February, and that while they are not giving me the formal notice required by the contract YET, I should be aware of the situation. (This is not credit-crunch related – it’s to do with the five-year cycle of the English water industry funding mechanism.)

So I have been contacting all my old colleagues etc, and it’s not looking good – all have politely said ‘no’. Agencies have suggested two posts, each at least 4 hours drive away, OK for an occasional trip but too far to commute every day and with my family commitments I can’t stay away from home.

So while I remain ‘in faith’ that God will bail me out at the last minute, as he always does, there is still a rising sense of panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment