Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Thursday, February 26

No Work - day 1

My main hope for work was extinguished, as th local coucil is foced to give work to their 'Outsource' consultant, who is laying off permananet staff and therefore won't countenance using a contractor lik me. This is a big blow - I was keeping my spirits up by the expectation that i would get this work as the manager wanted ME to do it.

Discussed preferences with another agent. Not a vey good one, but ay least he has contacts with obscure local companies that the bigger agents would overlook.

Took my wife to the nearest city for a day trip.

Got cross with the family when they started refilling the food bin before i had cleaned it, which is the most unpleasant weekly task I do at the best of times.

Cancelled some direct debits. Realised I now have to tell the organisations that I have done so, or I will get hit by bank charges.

Cancelled some standing orders. Realised that for the big ones it was too late - I have already paid for this month, which messes up my calculations that assumed I had cancelled them.

Realised there is no money for our minibus insurance in April. It will have to be taken off the road.

Realised that my accountant, the ICE benevolent fund, and various other people all give conflicting information and advice. E.g. yes I can/no I can't claim jobseekers allowance as an inactive freelancer. They spurt ot standard answers from their crib-sheets withou really considering my particular situation. Time to book an appointmet with the Citizen's advice bureau - not that they will be any better, but quite a lot of means-tested benefits require evidence that you have spoken to the CAB.

Still getting encouraging scriptures, but usually ones with a sting in the tail. E.g. God's care for Ruth - but only after he had killed her husband off.

No comments:

Post a Comment