Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Wednesday, June 16

Toilet

The grandmother of all blockages today. Normal plunging did nothing at all. Found a website that suggested using a mop wrapped in a tee shirt and plastic bags - failed. It's a toilet with a double U bend, and the blockage was in the second bend. So al the plunging was just making waves in the airpocket between the two bends.

My sone suggested using atube to blow more air in, and even gave me an old washing macjhine hose for it. I felt this was the wrong thing to do, but stuck the hose through into the air pocket anyway, and blew experimentally to see if any air woudl come out anywhere - no. Next job, suck the air out - but not by mouth! Rigged the vacuum cleaner up to it with lots of plastic and sellotape, then got my son to switch it on and off in pulses to avoid filling the vacuum cleaner with toilet water, while I went back to plunging now that the air pocket was gone, or at least smaller.

It worked!

So I proclaimed myself a genius, and thanked my son for his sidekick role.

No comments:

Post a Comment