Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Wednesday, February 23

Where am I up to regarding church?

We have continued attending the church in the next town, and have managed to have our meeting with the vicar there.

He seemed to understand where we were coming from, and seemed to be a very fatherly figure, which is what my wife needs and was sadly lacking at the old church.

I had to attend on my own last Sunday, as she was so ill. My son come out of the Sunday School buzzing again – “They didn’t do this at the old church!” he says. The crèche was abysmal. The lady on the rota had forgotten it was her turn, and had not prepared the usual talk and was doing it all off the cuff. The usual families were away, but there was an influx of visitors for a dedication. My daughter pushed one of their kids over and made a scene. I couldn’t leave her in there and go back to the service this time. The others were all locals who knew each other and left me out of the conversation. So I was wondering just why I had bothered coming at all. But it was worth it for the sake of my son. And also, the liturgy for the dedication was very good, and it seems that while they will do an infant baptism if required by the church rules, they will steer away form it if they can and go for a more scriptural believer’s baptism (which can of course still be administered to children and families). So it was worth noting that too.

It’s a good church. It’s just impractical, being in another town. Mrs could hardly be involved in the children’s work there as she was at the old church. There she used to just walk five minutes, now it would be catching the hourly bus service for a half hour ride, followed by a taxi trip. And she would not be meeting the mums shopping in the town as she did for the old church. It’s really hard to see how it will work, or why God has lead us to this church.

No comments:

Post a Comment