Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Wednesday, November 29

End of Placement

Tonight I attended Evensong for the last [official] time.

I was supposed to be doing the prayers, but had forgotten and not prepared anything. So surprise surprise I ended up doing the readings again. {Which I did quite well for once}.

Afterwards I overheard a Lady complaining that on Sunday the collect for 'Stir up Sunday' had not been used. I was also told that someone else had complained that we had talked about it being "Christ the King" Sunday, but had not said that it was the first Sunday of Advent next week.

I can see the benefit of a church calander, but these episodes make me worry that sometimes the tail is wagging the dog.

So, that is it. I have finished my placement.

It was with a tinge of sadness that I took off my vestments for the last time, and walked out of that building.

Key learing points have been:

1) Always go to the toilet BEFORE you put the vestments on
2) People who do things differently form yourself are not ALL superstitious and ignorant of the Scriptures and the true path of salvation. Some of them are quite intelligent people who do these things for a reason, and find that it helps them, without compromising their faith in the work of Christ on the cross. God's church is diverse, and needs to be to fully express his glory. As well as this meaning that the traditional churches I have objected to are OK, it also means that the non-conformist churches they object to are OK.
3) God made the psalms to be sung. Hence they work better sung by a high church choir than read by a low church semi-literate unrehearsed reader.
4) It is not a sin to cross yourself.

What next?

Umm.... read the training manual and check...! I think I have to do a written report on the placement, and then a presentation at the next year group meeting sometime in January.

2 comments:

  1. Always go to the toilet BEFORE you put the vestments on..

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it sounds like you learnt a lot- like rev sam i appreciate the toilet wisdom. and i wonder perhaps you'll be seen at evensong again at an unofficial time?
    well blessings, brother.

    ReplyDelete