Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Tuesday, November 28

Obedience

Well, I preached my sermon on Obedience. Any sermon with this topic is destined to result in hypocrisy, and I really should start paying attention to the traffic speed limit before I lecture other people about obeying Christ. However, the actual sermon seemed to go down well. I was panicking at the last minute because when the Vicar vetted my sermon beforehand (I voluntarily gave him this opportunity - it is his parish after all) he said it was nicely interwoven but he wanted me to leave out one potentially sensitive paragraph. If my sermons were modular in their structure it would be easy to miss a bit out, but my sermons are, well, nicely intewoven, and so if you take a bit out it wrecks the whole thing. It was really hard to re-do it during Sunday afternoon without the offending paragraph but still nicely interwoven. But we have a gracious God who rescued me and it all came together in the end. In the morning service they announced that I would be preaching in the evening, so it's nice that the congregation tripled in size with extras coming to hear me. (That means there was twelve instead of the normal 4)

Tomorrow's evensong is my last offical attendance at the Church, and then I will be back to normal in my own church.

On Thursday the Vicar is coming round to develop a 'Working agreement', required by the diocese for all readers, to make sure that there is a good balance between domestic and church duties. Please pray that suitable functions will be identified for me, and that these will also uplift my family rather then just making them put up with ME being in the limelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment