Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Monday, March 5

Sermon went well.

Well, people seemed to appreciate my sermon on Sunday. There was quite a lot of positive feedback afterwards, and the Vicar and Curate both said that it was my best so far.

So what is a good sermon? I can’t think that I did either more or less preparation than previous times, or that I did it either more or less spiritually. If I could put my finger on it, then I can do it again next time.

Of course, there was at least one person who took issue with the content. (It was the camel and the eye of the needle – he took the view that it refers to the gates of Jerusalem, and whereas I explained that view and its merits, I expressed the opinion that really it’s Jesus’ sense of humour wrapped around a punchy message. It just fits the text so much better.) the only other criticism – constructive – was that I talk too fast for the elderly. (I was cramming my 16.5 minute talk into the 15 minute slot).

The people that praised me went on to tell my wife that I had done well too, when she arrived for the next service. (Her illness prevents her getting to the first one). They meant this kindly, but of course it emphasises the gulf between my success and her failure.

And even though it was only her second time back at church since the miscarriage, no-one talked to her about it.

We went to Pizza Hut for number 2’s 15th birthday, got totally stuffed and out of routine, I then forgot to do my warden duty at the evening service, and stayed at home to help put the little one’s to bed since I owe the family some attention after weeks of sermon preparation. So if I was popular at church in the morning, I’m probably not popular anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment