Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Friday, April 20

Tax morality

I am now supposed to be glorying in my new role as director of my own company. However, life never runs smooth. In view of changes to the tax regime there have been huge numbers of people doing just the same, and this means that my company's bank, which should have foreseen the problem, can't cope with 18,000 simultaneous applications for new business accounts from people like me.

So I am still being paid through the old system subject to the new tax regime and paying far more than i should. AAARRRGGH. [Some of my colleagues are in a worse situation, having been abandoned by their respective partners and not getting paid at all.]

But all this raises questions. The tax regime has changed to stop people abusing the old system. Was i abusing the old system? Is it moral for a Christian to seek out the most 'tax-efficient' arrangement? Should he not willingly pay extra into the state which guarantees his welfare? Great theory, but little comfort when I have 6 kids and a mortgage.

No comments:

Post a Comment