Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Tuesday, June 12

After Alpha, and baptism

Our workplace Alpha course has been a success. Of the five candidates, two have had to stop attending owing to work commitments covering for sick colleagues - sounds like an excuse to me - but the other three are really solid. At the end of Alpha they didn't want to stop, so we have been carrying on with a general beginner's bible study group leaders book.

We are starting to make plans to merge this group with the pre-existing prayer group whose members organised the Alpha course. Step one, make the meetings on separate days so that attendance at both is possible.

It's my turn to lead the study group next Monday - session three, Baptism. The first paragraph of this book asserts the need for baptism after coming to faith, discounting infant baptism as a post-Constantinian invention. Personally, the author must have read my mind. But I don't own the group which is much more ecumenical and includes a Roman Catholic and several other Anglicans, and so I will have to lead the session with due respect to the pro infant baptism members while somehow maintaining my own integrity.

Even if you strongly disagree with my views, plese pray that the session will be marked by unity rather than controversy, and that while the whole spectrum of opinion is discussed the conclusion may be in line with what God wants rather than with our own theological agendas. Or yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment