Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Thursday, May 1

Voted off the PCC

Yes its true - sacked!

Well OK, my term had ended, I was up for re-election, there were 8 candidates and 5 vacancies. They did better speeches than me, plus they had their gangs of cronies. Is this how God intended the church to be governed?

So now, the Vicar is thinking of ignring the will of the poeple by co-opting me back onto the PCC in my role as deputy warden/reader. Is that not wrong, too?

2 comments:

  1. 'They did better speeches than me, plus they had their gangs of cronies'

    OK - I thought that the PCC was like the Select Vestry that we have in the Church of Ireland - voted every year, and responsible for the running of the church in regards to the 3 F's - Finance, Fixtures and Fabrics.

    But we would never have speeches before the election - which takes place at the Easter General Vestry. Sometimes its hard in places to even make up the twelve vacancies!

    As to the question of democracy - well, that's not how God does it! Moses would have been deposed if Israel in the wilderness had been a democracy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our PCC does the three Fs but also influences the spiritual side, eg arranging special events, arrangeing th times and styles of the different services, deciding on the local policy re children taking communion, etc. They also get to decide on some other much more serious stuff affecting people's lives, which I can't talk about even on an anonymous blog, and which gave rise to factionalism in the church which contributed to people voting for their own.

    Your point re Moses is spot on.

    On the oether hand I came form the Brethren, who are governed oligarchically by unelected and unaccountable elders - possibly a Biblical model but certainly open to abuse.

    ReplyDelete