Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Monday, January 12

Sunday sermon (Nehemiah ch4) - chaos and confusion

I had thought I was on the rota to preach next Sunday, but it was actually this Sunday. Fortunately someone phoned me on Friday and I realised my mistake. Being therefore a week behind on my preparation, I didn’t have a wonderfully enjoyable Saturday, catching up. But it got me out of my domestic chores!

I had to give the sermon at both morning services. This meant going early to photocopy the question sheet I had to write for the midweek home groups – normally the secretary’s Friday job, and the thing she phoned about. At least I had the sermon ready, but as the first hymn started I realised I had not downloaded my PowerPoint slides onto the memory stick or given them to the projectionist. I sneaked out to my laptop, and downloaded it easily enough, but how to get it to the projectionist, who was busy with the songs and liturgies? I asked someone to give it to her as I went to the lectern –she would find it easily enough. Or at least someone technically minded would – the first slide appeared about 5 minutes after I really wanted it and from the pulpit I could tell she was highly stressed and thinking unchristian thoughts about me. With good reason!

Apart from that the sermon itself went reasonably OK, and quite a few people commented positively afterwards. But not the gushing enthusiasm I received last time. I suppose you can’t do your ‘best ever’ every week. Even in my own rating I would have given it a B- rather than an A.

For the second service, the PowerPoint problems were resolved, and I spoke more confidently (though my wife could still spot that I was nerve-wracked by everything). But the second time round I made more mistakes in terms of leaving bits out that I meant to say. And my overall delivery in both services was rather too deadpan.

For the sermon, I was given the title “Facing the Enemy” and the second half of Nehemiah Ch 4. Clearly every significant scholar/minister/theologian has written a book on Nehemiah, and since it is such a densely packed book they all come up with different things. My sermon was therefore based on what struck ME as I read the passage, thus:

If we do God’s work on earth the Devil will oppose it. We therefore have to face up to him, thus:
  • Faith and Action together (v14)
  • Allocate resources (Various verses)
  • Unity (Various verses).

No comments:

Post a Comment