Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Monday, February 23

Farewell do - parachuting

Tomorrow I will be having my farewell do - a meal at a popular pub restaurant.

No doubt nice things will be said, good luck will be wished, and I might even get a card and a present.

But behind all that I will feel that it is analogous to an aeroplane containing a number of parachutists. Everybody knows whose turn it is to jump next, and that that person has no parachute, and that that person is me. They all have their own parachutes, which of course they need for their own jumps, and nobody begrudges them that. And of course I can smile and wave bravely as I jump. But the fact remains - I have to jump out of the plane with no parachute. And no amount of nice talk, good luck wishes, cards or presents will get around the simple fact that I will be outside the plane with no parachute, accelerating rapidly to certain doom.

Fortunately, my God has never let such things as the laws of physics obstruct him from achieving his purposes in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment