Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Tuesday, March 3

Better news

Tomorrow I start work again! Five days of unemployment is enough. Financially it has been OK since my parents are bailing me out, but this obviously can't go on for ever. So it was great to phone them and tell them the news. But its also good to be going back to work anyway. I have tried to make my days useful, job hunting in the morning and doing housework or company paperwork in the afternoon. But it really is impossible to stick to that when you have a wife and baby. The baby obviously has to take priority some of the time, but it is exceedingly frustrating when the wife delegates her own jobs to you just because you are around. And you can tell her to take a running jump, but then she doesn't believe you when you say you love her. So it will be great to go back to work and actually work! I suppose these tensions are natural.

The work I will be doing is unfortunately only for two weeks, so I still need a new client. It is an extension of work that I was doing last summer and autumn for the local council. They had previously told me that for political and contractual reasons they couldn't give me the work, but they seem to have got over that.

I applied for one particularly good job, which I got all excited about and thought this must be the Lord's will, but unfortunately I missed out on that one too.

The good thing is that these circumstances have forced me to register my CV with just about every agency in the UK, so hopefully the future will be full of people offering me jobs, once the market picks up again. For now, although I am back with an old client on an old job, they have been required a negotiate a re-rate with me, and of course this was downwards, not up!

Any way, I have two weeks work before I start panicking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment