Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Tuesday, September 22

Facebook girls

I am an anti-facebook man.

I did sign up once, in connection with work, but deleted my account straightaway because it made me feel naked. Strange, when I say all sorts of private stuff in this blog. But then this is more or less anonymous, and nobody close to me socially or professionally reads it.

(Now there's another objection - you can't actually 'delete' a facebook account - it is still there in acse you want to resurrect it. And if you can't fully delete it, then it's bad in my opinion)

By my daughters are obsessed with Facebook. All their friends have it, and they use it as a genuine legitimate social networking tool. Some of theor friends Mums are also on it, so that they can supervise their daughters, and this is a good thing. Except that my daughters can then see all of the adult stuff on theor account - fortunatley they are decent people and I have no worries.

But a lady from church, with no daughters that age, is also on it, and came to to my daughters pages as a 'friend'.

Fair enough. She is. But isn't it a bit creepy? If a man did that you'd call the police. It's not like she's the youth leader or anyone with a real reason to be talking to them.

But then, my girl wrote a piece about my baby allegedly talking in sentances already. There may be some truth in it, but it's very much unconfirmed.

Next thing we know half the church is talking about our baby's remarkable speech.

So we have asked the said lady to withdraw from my daughters' facebooks.

And she has been very agreeable about it and has already complied. But in the interests of equality, wants the other adults - the genuine supervisors - off as well. It's a bit awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment