Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Friday, April 23

Work at last!

After 13 months of unemployment, 100s of job applications, and several interviews, I finally have a job to look forward to. This is IT!

I will be working on the Surface Water Management Plan for a nearby local authority. Each local authority in the country is required to preare a SWMP by the Floods and Water Management Act 2010, which received royal assent on 8th April. So thanks, Queen, I now have a job!

The actual start date has yet to be agreed. Ditto the actual pay. THis is because rather than being employed directly by the local authority, I will work on a freelance basis for an engineering consultancy who will second me into the authority. The consultancy wanted to win a ocntract to do the SWMP in its entirity, but in the end they only get to send me into the authority's team. But I'm moving off the point - the reason for the delay is that the authority's procedures. They are supposed to use a particular employment agency in cases like this, so they should pay the agency to pay the consultancy to pay me, and the agency has done no work at all. So the guy at the authority is trying to find a way to circumvent the procedure - which I think is a universal full time occupation for all local government officers.

Also, because of the above, its not yet clear just how much of the payment will end up with me.

But the good news is that it is freelance work, which maximises my income and also means that I won't have to wind up my limited company.

And it is within commuting distance, so no living away from home and deducting the cost of a flat.

Good news all round.

And of course, when there is good news like this, it should not be forgotten that it has come about by the Grace of God, mediated through your prayers. And so many thanks to all of you that did pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment