Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Wednesday, November 7

Long flight

I took a slightly different route to work.  And I was slightly earlier than usual.

So I saw an amazing sight.

A V of geese.  in front of a V of geese.  And behind a V of geese.

And each of those was also behind or in front of a V of geese.

I would estimate that the train of Vs was about a mile long.

I would estimate about 300 geese per V, and about 10 Vs.  So we're looking at 3000 birds, on their daily commute from nesting grounds to feeding grounds.  Much honking!

I nearly drove off the edge of the windy road into the ditch, my jaw hanging in wonder.  But kept on track and followed the geese for about 3 miles before our paths separated - they seemed to be going down into some fields.

I do not live on some African wildlife reserve.  I'm just in a backwater of the UK.  So I was impressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment