Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Sunday, May 25

Software licensing ethics

My daughter was about to buy a copy of Photoshop.  But of course it was a cheap version, not really legit.  I gave a lecture accordingly.

Later, having just bought a new laptop which I needed (honest(?)), I came to move my Office onto it.  It is a 'professional' version which I bought some years ago because I do small amounts of business on it and so felt I should get a proper license.  But, now that I looked at the disk again, I find that it says 'only for distribution with a new PC'.  I think that this is one of those truths that I have suppressed in my mind, that having gone to the trouble of trying to get the legitimate software I still ended up with a cheap i.e. illegal copy.

Plus, having noticed this while I was loading it onto the machine, I said "well, Lord, if you are going to forgive me for this one misdemeanour, please let it work".   It failed.

So it looks lke I am going to have to spend a further un-budgeted £213.    GRRR!

No comments:

Post a Comment