Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Saturday, January 24

New work

My contract with my long-term client ends at the end of the month. It has been an anxious time wondering 'what next?'

I had an option to continue sitting at the same desk but as an employee of an engineering consultancy. Which would also have meant a 40% cut in income. At the last minute they nearly tempted me with an offer to sit at the same desk as a contractor of the consultancy on the same rate that I am currently paid, but that would only ahve been for three months.

Instead, I have taken up a contractor role working for a local authority. It is a slightly longer commute than I do now and will be more suscpetible to traffic., but not to bad in the long run. I will start on Feb 2nd. The role will move me from the design of sewage works to flood risk assesments and some drainage design. It also has potential to lead no to a role in site supervision for another larger client. In taking up this role I am accepting a cut of about 14% in my headline fee rate, but by the time I have accounted for changes in expenses and Student Finance, the difference in my wallet will be zero.

So, roll on, the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment