Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Monday, March 3

My son's baptism, and stuff.

On this weekend:

  • My youngest son (age 8) was baptised as a believer by immersion in an Anglican church. In accordance with our prayers, he was not the centre of attention, since he was baptised on the same occasion as a notable adult – see below. Even so, many people commented to us afterwards that the ‘Joy of the Lord’ was evident in him during the service. We always worry that as parents we push rather than lead, but I am now satisfied we got the balance right.
  • A Zulu, shy and with poor English, married a Czech woman, shy and with poor English. [How did they meet?]
  • The new ‘Mrs Zulu’ – a new convert - was baptised, alongside my son.
  • The new ‘Mr and Mrs Zulu’ dedicated their 3 month old son. (Now Q1 – they are both shy with communication difficulties – how do they come to have a baby? Q2, Mrs Zulu is a fresh convert but Mr Zulu has been in the church a long time and should know better so how come Q2a he formed a relationship with someone who at the time was not a Christian and Q2b how come he slept with her and Q2c what has the church said to them about this matter? A2a and 2b - Clearly where we make mistakes and repent we can and are forgiven. Clearly not everyone’s business should be publicised in the church. A2c I personally felt a definite sense of the presence of God at their wedding. And If God endorsed it, then so do I.
  • I also celebrated another son’s 16th birthday with a meal at Chiquitos and a family bowling session (which I won of course, but strangely my arthritic wife who could barely lift the ball came second)
  • Mothers Day – lots of chocolate, cards and flowers.
  • People are still commenting on my sermon last week. One does not do it for self aggrandisement but it’s good to et the feedback that you are hitting the spot.
  • My wife came to the evening service for the first time in months.

No comments:

Post a Comment