Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Wednesday, November 13

How to horrify your colleagues

"Hello.  I'm on the committee that is organising the carol service.  We're trying to spread it around a bit.  Would you like to do one of the reasons?"

It's quite amusing watching the reaction.  The colour drains from the face.  The eyes widen and dart around looking for an escape route.  The jaw drops.  There must be a ghost standing behind me or something, judging by the look of total horror.

Then the excuses start.  I get nervous speaking in public.  I an crap at public reading.  They say.  except these are senior engineers who would not balk at addressing a technical audience.

So I'm not really sure if they are flattered to be asked but genuinely terrified, or if they are just too polite to tell me to stick my carol service where the sun doesn't shine.

(I have been asking people that I know are at least occasional church goers, not total atheists)

No comments:

Post a Comment