Photo credits

The Embalse de Riano in northern Spain. The picture was taken by .... me!

Sunday, July 23

God's humour

As part of my training in th Church of England I have had to do a study on the Anabaptists. My roots in the Brethren and charismatic house churches owe their heritage to the anabaptists. They were a group of Reformers at the time of Luther and Zwingli, who wanted the church to be separate form the state and to baptise only believers (well, they HAD read the Bible!). Unfortunately some of them got a bit carried away, took over a few cities and set off the Peasants war and preached communism and polygamy and discredited the whole movement. But my heritage is with the more moderate ones who simply followed the Bible despite being burnt at the stake by the Catholics, the Lutherans, and by Zwingli's reformed church.

The comical thing is that in our moderate days, with that heritage and strongly holding views against infant baptism and state control, God has put me into the Church of England - controlled by the state and practicing infant baptism. Its not what I would have planned at all. the final irony is that when I finish the course I will be licenced by a magistrate- complete with wig! This is so bizarre I can't get my head round it.

But God is laughing loud!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
    »

    ReplyDelete